5 reasons to get cookie compliant right now
This period has now come to an end and whilst we have seen enormous efforts by digital platform owners and operators to achieve compliance and significant number of organizations have not implemented the required changes. Any companies who have not achieved compliance are now exposed to the possibly of enforcement action from the DPC. It's important to note that even if you have a banner, you may still not be compliant. With this in mind, we are taking this opportunity to run through 5 reasons to get “cookie compliant” ASAP!
- It's the law. The DPC are empowered to enforce this legislation through the Data Protection Act 2018. Enforcement will incorporate a full suite of measures available under the GDPR which can include fines up to 2% of turnover/€10m.
- It's the right thing to do. Do you want to know how websites are tracking you and what they are doing with your data? Well, so do your customers.
- It is good for your business. Being compliant promotes trust and signals to your customer that you care about what happens to their information. A recent McKinsey report noted that consumers increasingly privilege digital businesses that limit the amount of personal information requested and may be walking away from transactions where trust hasn’t been sufficiently developed.
- It’s an opportunity for you to de-risk. Many companies don’t have a clear idea of the scale of what they are tracking and what third parties they are sharing their customers information with. This can be bad news legally but can also damage your brand. This in an opportunity to simplify, take back that control!
- It's the future The world’s leading companies are now increasingly building privacy-by-design into their digital interactions. Google, Apple and Mozilla are taking steps to phase-out 3rd party cookie support from their browsers. The future of marketing is elsewhere! Take the first step toward getting there now.
Are you looking for advice on compliance? Together with our partner OneTrust we are running a webinar about getting compliant, staying compliant and the future of digital marketing. Find out what you can learn and register now.
If you would like our advice, contact us today.