Teens and Technology - The "New" Teen Survival Guide
The teens interviewed were asked about their favourite apps and games.
MOST RELEVANT APPS
- Facebook (and Facebook Messenger)
The rest is up to the teenager and their preferences. If they’re into Gaming, they should consider Twitch and Discord. Music-lovers could go for Shazam or Soundcloud and Sports-folk might be interested in Fitbit or All Football Pro.
Much like apps, your choice in video games is dependent on your interest in genres. However,
some popular critically acclaimed games include The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Overwatch, Persona 5 and The Last of Us.
- Smartphones are becoming faster, more powerful and more connected at an astounding rate. Teenagers are keen to take advantage of the latest devices and apps to stay up to date with the latest trends for fear of being left out.
- Social Media dominates the lives of teenagers. Teenagers spend most of their time online using app such as Snapchat and Instagram chatting to friends and browsing pages. However, very few social media websites are used by Teenagers – only the ones that have the critical mass using it tend to be used often.
- A certain amount of caution has to be taken when using technology. Not only for the risk of a security breach, but so we don’t spend too much time with our technology. In short, technology is supposed to enhance our lives, not become them.
- The surge of free mobile games has changed the landscape of the gaming industry radically. Some big companies are now employing free-to-play models or in-game-purchases in their console games. However, gaming is still a popular pastime among teenagers, with some using it to launch online careers.
- The problem of sleep deprivation remains unsolved and may worsen as children start using technology at earlier ages. It’s up to parents or teenagers to log off to get some rest.
- The increased usage of streaming sites like Netflix and YouTube have brought traditional media companies up to date with current technology. Now it isn’t uncommon to see TV companies making a Netflix-only show or articles on breaking news on YouTube.
- Engaging the target audience is critical for marketers, especially with a teenager’s short attention span. Viral videos and social media competitions are the best way to achieve this.
Blogs in this series:
If you have any questions about this report, please feel free to contact us here.
Written by Jim Xi Johnson.